Happy New Year 2021 More Or Less


Happy New Year. A new year is a time for expectations: now is my year to lose weight or write that Great American Novel or travel or get a new job or.....

2020 Was a year of dashed expectations, of sorrow, of tragedy. Unfortunately it's not over yet. We're going into a new year with masks and social distancing and, in some places, like where I live closed restaurants and bars and gyms and museums. You can't browse in the library anymore. You get your books from the librarian who is wearing gloves and a mask. Books are sanitized before going back into the system. 

I haven't made any virtual museum visits. I guess I should, but let's face it, it lacks the reality of going up to a painting and seeing the brush stroke or a sculpture and seeing the details. 

Here in Philadelphia there was no Mummers Parade. For the rest of the world that's no big deal, but for New Year's Day to feel like any other day was just honestly really sad. It was usually too cold to go but I DID enjoy watching it on television. There was a protest: a few mummers got together and dressed up and complained about the mayor. They didn't wear masks either and compared themselves to the George Floyd protests. No, it really wasn't the same but they had every right to protest. The city agreed although the administration would have preferred that they wear masks. 

One thing that hasn't changed: weight loss commercials. January 1, right on cue, the commercials for weight loss and exercise equipment were right on cue. Since 2020 was the year to work from home, play from home and do a lot of cooking and baking, I imagine the weight loss folks are rubbing their hands in glee. The special meals will go out - at least for a while. People will start counting their points and wondering if they should just toss the rest of that sourdough starter now. 

Then there's the election. And that's all I'm saying about THAT. 

A friend said in her blog that really every day is a new day and that New Year's Day is kind of artificial. She's right although this year might be different. So many of us are waiting and hoping for that vaccine. Still COVID`19 appears to be here to stay. Lucky us. Let's hope the vaccines get a better distribution soon because people have stay home fatigue. My wise friend also offered this advice: BE KIND.  I think that's pretty good advice and I'm going to try to follow it. I have a problem with kindness: I'm not always good at it. I need to be better. BUT be kind means being kind to yourself. Ok, so you gained more weight than you wanted, you didn't exercise, you had too many takeout meals, you didn't eat as healthy as you could have. Be kind to yourself. It's been a rough year. 


 

Comments

Popular Posts