RIP Flaco


New York Mourns Flaco, an Owl Who Inspired as He Made the City His Own

Under Flaco’s favorite trees in Central Park and across the city, New Yorkers spoke of what the bird and his unlikely year of freedom meant to them.

I am mourning Flaco. Yes, I know it may seem silly to some.  I read about Flaco when he first escaped from the Central Park Zoo last February. He was born into captivity and, unfortunately, he was bound to end tragically. So many people including me hoped he would stay in Central Park and eat mice but he roamed far and wide and ended his life by flying into a building. This is making me so sad.  I know why.  I understand his desire to fly.  I've spent the last 16 months dealing with vertigo and bouts of terrible neck and head pain and a feeling that I'm going to fall and arguing with doctors.  

Flaco too advantage of his freedom to roam. Perhaps in the end he was happier even if his life was shortened.  He was an inspiration to a lot of people.  I imagine that if you live in a cramped apartment in NYC seeing Flaco fly free is exhilirating.  

We are tame creatures for the most part.  We stop at red lights, drive (more or less) the speed limit, do what we are supposed to do.  The people who won't or can't are the ones we despise and fear.  Flaco did what came naturally.  That isn't easy for any of us.  Civilization comes at a cost. Flaco had his freedom - even if it was only for a year. RIP, Flaco.  I hope there's a heaven for animals to run free.

Comments

Popular Posts